Monday, October 30, 2006

Viva Las Reno....

Reno at night

Getting up at 4am sucks. Plain and simple. There are only two reasons to get up at 4am. Fishing & Golf. I had a 6:47am flight and thanks to Mr. Atta and his 9/11 buddies I now have to arrive two hours early to remove my shoes and go through security with every blue head snow bird fleeing the dismal NJ winter. None of which have any intention of causing harm on the aircraft.

As far as my last post goes you can throw all that out the window. Imagine my surprise when a woman came inching down the aisle with a nothing less than a bow and arrow set in her hand. Come to think of it I did not see bow and arrow on the list so I guess she was OK. Granted it was a tourist bow and arrow set but it was a large one and you could have easily taken the suction cups off and fashioned a sharp tip that could have poked an eye out or something. Needless to say I kept one eye on her the whole flight.

Speaking of flights... my flight out took me through Phoenix then to Reno. It was an uneventful flight to Phoenix the only hiccup was that the video system was on the fritz , darn. I was really looking forward to a straight to DVD movie and a couple of the lost episodes of Three's Company. It was pretty funny when the flight crew was trying to get the system to work. Now when I say trying to get to get it to work I mean flipping the switch back and forth causing the small overhead LCD screens to raise and lower repeatedly. It was as if the plane was waving at you, or calling for help. Just when you thought they gave up the screens would come down again and flicker with some grainy image Joyce Dewitt or John Ritter. A few times I actually laughed out loud.

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport

The
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is interesting. Interesting and LARGE! I was glad I had both my legs and only one "Polock" to drag with me. According to my calculations the Phoenix airport could not be the Rhode Island airport 'cause it wouldn't fit! I had to switch planes. Not airlines. I figured I would have to walk from gate A3 to A4 or something simple like that. Noooooo..... If you check with the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport hall of records, you see my name under "Longest distance traveled and still in the building while dragging a "PoLock" who has never traveled before except for the trip from Poland to the USA and who asked more questions than my 8 year old son". That's some record, and I am damn proud of it.

On to Reno on a short hop. The flight was a little over an hour and the weather was clear so it made for some interesting viewing. I played tourist shot some pictures out the window. Coming from New Jersey you forget what a large and beautiful country we live in. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in some of the small towns that we flew over. I mean I grew up and live in a small town but it doesn't feel small sometimes. When you drive out of town in NJ you simply drive into the next town. Out here when you drive out of town, you "drive out of town" you better have some supplies with you, like gas and water for one. If you break down or get a flat or run out of gas it's gonna be a while before you make human contact again. Cell phone service? Ha ! I laugh in your general direction.

My vote for road of the week.

Reno is a good looking town and although I did not get to explorer all of I was impressed with what I saw. Impressed enough to consider bringing the family out here this summer to see the area including the Lake Tahoe region. I was quite disappointed when I did not make it over to Tahoe.

View from my room.


Same view if you leaned out really far... or zoomed in....



That's all for now. I will finish some time this weekend with some tales for the border of "Dumbfuckistan"..........in other words ...pretty country.....pretty slow people........

Tj

3 comments:

Neil said...

I'd like to second the motion for a visit to Lake Tahoe. Between the three Henry siblings on the West Coast, we have managed to have a Tahoe ski house for the past 14 or so winters.

We get to Tahoe City on a pretty regular basis between Dec and March. The last 3 years have been landmark years for good powdery conditions. Our favorites are Squaw Valley and Northstar; lots of wide trails, blue runs that start from above 9000 ft and very low key towns - no "scene".

Anonymous said...

Wow-it really is beautiful out there! I would like to go on that trip too... Family trip out West! Yippee!
More pictures please.

Anonymous said...

Was this a mini-polock you were dragging behind you or a regular sized one? Just curious....